Net Galley Reviewer

Professional Reader

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Chatting with Marcena Hooks



Today, I welcome Marcena Hooks to The Reading Life with Yolanda. Marcena is another contributing author for The Dating Game anthology published by Brown Girls Books.

 Briefly, introduce yourself to the readers.
I am a native of Oklahoma, and relocated to California about two years ago. I am a married mother of two working on my MFA degree in Creative Writing. The love of reading and writing was inspired and instilled in me by my mother, and I hope to pass that love on to my children.
Please tell us what your story; Just Call Me Honey is all about? I love the title by the way. Just Call Me Honey is a story of two people Delaney (a.k.a. Honey) and James who are on a journey to try love again after being in bad relationships. They lead secret “double lives” but see themselves in each other. They figure it would be better to work through their redemption together as a couple.
Paperback: 334
Publisher: Brown Girls Books
Language: English
ISBN-13: 978-1625176745

You’re at the night club with your date, what’s that one song that will get you up on the dance floor?
Even though I haven’t been to the club in ages, I love this question! Without a doubt, it would be The Electric Slide.
If your short story was turned into a made for TV movie, who would you want to play the roles?
Wow, I haven’t thought about this. Maybe Malik Yoba as James and Sanaa Lathan as Honey. If this ever came true, I’d love to be a part of the casting call and/or auditions if that were allowed.
Is this your first published work? If no, please tell us your other works. How does it feel to be a published author?
I am blessed and honored to be published in The Dating Game; it is my third published work. I am also included in The Motherhood Diaries and The Motherhood Diaries 2, two anthologies by ReShonda Tate Billingsley. Being published is still unbelievable at times, and I long for the day my name will grace the cover of a book.
What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading novels for school including Joplin’s Ghost by Tananarive Due and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
Are you working on anything new?
I am working on my workshop submission for the summer residency at school. I’d also like to develop a sequel to Just Call Me Honey into a novella.
How can readers stay connected to you?
I’d love to connect with readers via Facebook facebook.com/Marcena.hooks and Twitter: @Marcenahooks

No comments:

Post a Comment